Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Simple 1-2-3 Patchwork Quilt Tutorial



I want to share a very simple quilt that actually packs a wallop presentation wise.  This is the 1-2-3 patchwork quilt.  Very easy! Very Simple!  If you are just starting in quilting...you will love making this quilt.


Supplies


3/4 yd. of 3 coordinating fabrics  I used Airborne, Faded Blue Dottie, and cream chenille
2 yds batting 
2 yds backing fabric (I backed this quilt with the cream chenille)
fabric for binding.  I just used scraps left over from my squares.




Cut your fabrics into 6" squares.  Figure ahead of time how many you need for how big of a quilt you want.  We wanted a baby quilt so we went with 7 x 9 grid.  This means I would need 63 squares.  Divide that by the number of fabrics you have (3) and that will give you how many squares of each fabric you will need...in this case (21).




Next lay your squares out in a 7 x 9 grid.  Put them out in a 1-2-3 pattern.  Follow that simple pattern and it will lay out very quickly.




Now you want to sew each row together.  I start by doing the vertical seam first.  Once I have done that, then i sew each row together horizontally.




I love how the chenille adds some texture to the quilt top!




Layer your quilt top, batting and backing fabric together and pin.  Now you are ready to quilt your pieces together.




I went with a basic diamond pattern.  This is the first round of quilting.  It  didn't quite look right, so I decided to add more lines...




I like this MUCH better...don't you?




Make your binding.  You want to cut strips of fabric that are 2.25" wide.  Make one long strip that will go all the way around the perimeter of your quilt.  Remember to allow for corners.  Once you have your strip, fold it in half and press.  


  
You are now ready to attach your binding.  Always, Always, Always finish your binding by hand stitching it down.  You will get a much more professional finish in the end.




My quilt finished off at 39'"x 49".  The perfect size for a little one to crawl around on.  You can make this any size your want.  My hubs is actually trying to talk me into making one for our king size bed.  I told him it would take a lot of bribery on his part.  Let's see if he comes through.  


If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.  Stop by Home a la mode and check out our great fabrics for your next patchwork quilt.  Remember, if you use my DISCOUNT CODE, you can get an additional 5% off your purchase.  Thanks for shopping!


8 comments:

  1. This is such a lovely idea! I have some chenille and haven't been sure how to use it. Now I know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deborah. It was actually Karen's idea. I just executed it. I would love to see what you come up with when you finish!

      Delete
  2. Hello! I was wondering approximately how long did it take you to make this from start to finish as in hours or days or weeks? I'm new to quilting and would like to start on one for Christmas, but was hoping to get a good idea of how much time I'd need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I have never made a quilt before and this is just what I was looking for to try my first one! Just wondering if you can recommend any links/instructions with more detail on attaching the binding, for someone totally new to this? Thanks so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you have any tips on how you lay your quilt out on a regular sewing machine? I have a Brother, and as often as i've tried, even rolling, i always end up with so much bulk that it either wrinkles and bunches or i just can't get a straight line.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails