Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Charm Pack Coasters

Hey there!  Well, I have decided to try my hand at offering you a simple tutorial. 

These little cutie coasters are made using 8 pieces of fabric from a charm pack.


 Choose 8 squares (if you don't have a charm pack just cut 5" x 5" squares from your choice of fabric)



Cut 4 pieces of batting that are 5 1/4" square


Layer your pieces in this order: 2 pieces of your fabric right sides facing together then a piece of batting.  Sew your layers together using a 1/4" seam.  * I used my walking foot just took keep things from slipping.  Make sure you leave a 2" opening on one side so you can turn your square right side out.


Cut your four corners on an angle..this will help you have a crisper corner.


Turn your square right side out.


Once you have turned your square you will see that your corners are kind of rounded.  I am not a big fan of that.  I like nice crisp corners so i used the wonderful tool known as the Classic Crystal Point Turner.


See how much prettier the corners are now?...I love this tool!  I really am not sure how my life existed without it.  I use it everytime I am turning items.  LOVE LOVE LOVE it.  (ok that was my little woohoo for the day :o) )


Now once you have turned everything you will have a small opening


Press press press.  Make sure that your opening sides are lined up.  This might take a some negotiations with your iron but you can make it happen.


Now you are are ready to sew around your edge to close the opening.  I like to sew as close as possible to the edge so I can make sure to catch all the fabric.  Now is also the time to do any kind of quilting you like.  I like to vary my quilting. 


Now you are all done.  You can just throw them on your coffee table or tie a ribbon around them and give them as a great Thank You gift.

Let's Go Sew!
Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails