I am always looking for a cute gift ideas to make for babies. The thing I love most about this one is that whether it is the first baby or the fifth, Burp Rags are ALWAYS needed :) This is my first attempt at a tutorial, so please let me know what you think.
- Cloth Diapers - I bought mine at Walmart, but they can be found at Target, Babies R Us, and others.
- Fabric - I used fat quarters, but this can be done with large scraps you have lying around
- Tape Measure
- Rotary Mat
- Rotary Blade
- Sewing Machine
- Iron your diaper so that it is nice and flat.
- You will need to measure the length and width of the inner padded area of the diaper.
- Take your measurements and add 1".
- Cut your piece of fabric to your measurements. My diaper measured 5" x 19-1/2" so I cut my fabric 6" x 21-1/2". TIP: Don't assume all diapers are created equal. My experience has shown that they can be off by at least 1/2" from each other.
- Press a 1/2" seam all around the edges of your fabric. I like to turn the corners in to make prettier edges.
- Pin the fabric onto the diaper as shown in the picture.
- Now comes the time for sewing! Choose any stitch that you would like - I prefer to use my zig zag stitch. You will want to stitch as close to the edge of the fabric as possible. TIP: I like to use white thread in my bobbin so it doesn't show on the under side of the diaper.
- Once you stitch around all 3 sides, you are done!!! Repeat as many times as your heart desires :)
Don't forget to check our website for the perfect fabric to use on these adorable burp cloths!